Based on the ongoing spread of COVID-19, and on the advice of public officials to support social-distancing efforts, Say Something Bunny! performances for the month of March, April, May, June and July 2020 have been postponed. Our goal is to commence our regular performance schedule as soon as possible.
Please follow us on Instagram @saysomethingbunny for future updates.
– Adam Feldman, Time Out New York
– John Ortved, Vogue
NYTimes Critics’ Pick
“An out-and-out thrill… as catching as the chickenpox, and if the piece is forthrightly funny and briefly pornographic, it is also sneakily moving.“
-Alexis Soloski, The New York Times
“★★★★ – Critic’s Pick
Light, sweet, funny and dear…
Kobayashi’s deep humanism has a way
of moving you, even days later.“
– Helen Shaw, Time Out New York
-Gabriela Geselowitz, Tablet
–, Huff Post
-Rea McNamara, Art F City
-Tess Takahashi, The Brooklyn Rail
Watch the Teaser
With Say Something Bunny!, Alison S. M. Kobayashi and UnionDocs present an enthralling performance based on an amateur audio recording made over sixty years ago. The origin of this audio was a mystery. Two spools of thin steel wire were found tucked inside an obsolete sound device purchased by a collector at an estate sale. There were no labels; no dates, no names, and no context. Through her obsessive research and active imagination along with hundreds of times listening through, Kobayashi decodes the rich dialogue in the recording and discovers the detailed history of an unforgettable Jewish family from New York that bursts with humor, surprise and drama. The one-woman show annotates, illustrates, and reconstructs the scenes of the recording, while revealing the stranger-than-fiction biography of the eldest son, David, who made the wire recordings. Using video, installation, performance and plentiful archival material, Kobayashi leads the audience through a close listening, spinning “a multigenerational yarn of Rothian heights.”
UNDO Project Space – Chelsea, NYC
511 West 20th Street, 2nd Floor
(Next to the High Line)
- The performance runs 2 hours and 20 minutes plus a break for intermission.
- For mature audiences only.
- Doors open 30 minutes prior to the listed performance time.
- Seating is on a first come, first serve basis.
- Due to the nature of the performance, latecomers will not be admitted.
- If you or anyone in your party are unable to make the performance, please do let us know as soon as possible. The exact number of audience members is significant for the performance.
- If you need them, do bring reading glasses.
- Accessibility: There are 18 steps leading up to the performance space at 511 West 20th Street, and unfortunately no elevator. We apologize for this and are seeking options to provide better accessibility.
- We discourage arriving at the space without purchasing in advance. However, we do have a waitlist that we email regularly when cancellations occur.
- Discount rush tickets sometimes become available. Fill out the form online, and we will add your name to the list. Notifications of last minute tickets go out 24 to 48 hours before a scheduled performance.
Have a question?
Say Something Bunny! is grateful for support from the following institutions.